Late Nights with Trav and Los
What do you do when you are not inspired?
Based on a discussion he had with his 4 year old, Travis hosts a show on the topic of working while feeling uninspired.
- Break it down
- Make a list of the small parts of your project.
- Anthony Trollope, a 19th century writer said “A small daily task… will beat the labour of spasmodic hercules"
- Do anything to move the ball. Don’t end the day having done nothing to progress your work.
- Rely on your preparation
- Day work and Night work
- leave your work half finished and now all you have to do is complete your idea.
- Get a ritual
- Woody Allen famously said “80% of success is showing up”
- put your shoes on
- loses idea of a token.
- Harness the power of Frequency
- frequency makes starting easier
- frequency keeps ideas fresh
- frequency keeps the pressure off
- frequency sparks creativity
- frequency nurtures frequency
- Prune the branches
- Eventually the new branches will steal resources from the initial branches. Eventually the entire vine will succumb to systemic mediocrity.
- Cut out anything that is not essential
We don't have the luxury of inspiration. Inspiration is a nice companion on our journey to brilliance, but it is not a necessary companion at the beginning of the journey. Inspiration tends to join you when you are already on your way.